Setting targets for yourself is a bit of a learning curve isn’t it? This was the first month where I set a few goals for myself and in hindsight I may have been a little ambitious. No shame in admitting that though.
- Complete the Build a Simple Ruby on Rails Application project on Treehouse
- Complete the Build a Todo List Application with Rails 4 project on Treehouse
- Both done! I enjoyed getting stuck into a new programming language and Ruby is very easy to get into. I’m definitely going to be delving into it a bit more and I’ve got a couple of small projects in mind to practice and develop my skills further. I’m considering concentrating a lot more effort on this in future.
- Re-draft part 1.1 of my novel
- Umm…well this didn’t go quite as well as I’d hoped. The main problem I had was that I read through it again and I decided I wasn’t sure if I really liked the route I’d gone with it and I just couldn’t figure out how to fix it. Rather than waste time just staring at it I decided to leave it and come back to it again later. I did manage an opening chapter though. Better than nothing.
- Cook 2 meals for Yum Chong
- I only managed one, a creamy risotto, but I did write up the other one and I did sort of cook it. But it wasn’t quite the full recipe and I didn’t take any pictures so I’ll get it finished in the next few weeks instead.
- Finish the Cardiff Books website
- All done and dusted! Kept it pretty simple – some basic HTML, a bit of Bootstrapped CSS and a smidge of PHP to store and display the book details. Oh, and it’s responsive (on iPhones at least!). Check it out!
So the monthly goals weren’t a resounding success, but they weren’t a complete failure either. It was a mixed bag but I did get some stuff done that I needed to sort out and made some progress (however small) with other bits and pieces.
I definitely set the bar too high, but that was probably always going to happen in the first month. The main goal was to make me more productive and in that respect it was definitely a success. I’ve set a new batch of goals for March which I think are more achievable (I’ve learned my lesson) so hopefully this time next month I’ll have ticked them all off.